Charles Dickens Collection
The perfect way to celebrate the author's 200th birthday, submerge yourself in classic BBC Dickens dramatisations that, like the great novelist's work, have stood the test of time.
The majesty of Charles Dickens' storytelling is captured in this DVD boxset that brings together BBC dramatisations of eight of the acclaimed author's classic novels. From the touching 1985 dramatisation of the semi-autobiographical Oliver Twist to the moving A Christmas Carol that sidesteps mawkish sentimentality and instead, offers viewers an affecting and sincere drama, each TV adaptation will delight fans of the author – and win over a generation of new ones.
Starring a wealth of celebrated actors including Maggie Smith, Bob Hoskins, John Mills and many more, the Charles Dickens Collection celebrates the author's work with authentic and beautifully-played mini TV-series from a broadcaster that is world-renowned for its adaptations.
Did You Know?
• The dramatisations were produced between 1977 and 1999
• The 1999 adaptation of David Copperfield stars Daniel 'Harry Potter' Radcliffe as the young Copperfield
• The adaptations have been showered with awards; A Tale of Two Cities won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Children's Entertainment Series; Our Mutual Friend scooped a host of awards and nominations at the BAFTA TV Awards in 1999 including Best Design and Best Drama Serial; and David Copperfield saw Maggie Smith awarded an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress.
What's In The Box?
• 32 hours of classic drama spread across 12 DVDs
• In chronological order, the adaptations featured in this set are:
A Christmas Carol (1977)
A Tale of Two Cities (1980)
The Pickwick Papers (1985)
Oliver Twist (1985)
Martin Chuzzlewit (1994)
Our Mutual Friend (1998)
David Copperfield (1999)
Great Expectations (1999)
The Charles Dickens Collection including 8 Classic BBC adaptations.
charles dickens collection, charles dickens collection dvd, charles dickens, charles dickens author, classic novels, classic adaptations,
Your review of 'Charles Dickens Collection (DVD)' has been sent.
“Comments This is thoroughly recommended to any 'Dickens' fan - they are all true to the original story and Daniel Radcliffe certainly showed the promise of a great star even at the young age he was at the time of David Copperfield production. It goes without saying Maggie Smith played a superb Aunt Trotwood and this is only at the tip of the 'iceberg' Every story in this collection well worth viewing over and over again - MANY MANY hours of sheer enjoyment.”
From: Maureen Hart